Carne Asada Tacos TENDERLOIN (makes 8 servings)
1/2 cup with vinegar
2 tablespoons with chili powder
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 pounds flank or skirt steak, trimmed and cut into 3 equal portions
1 pound tomatoes, chopped
2-4 fresh jalapeno peppers or serrano chiles, seeded and finely diced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 chopped fresh cilantro
1 ripe but slightly firm avocado, diced Juice of 1 lime
16 5- to - inch corn or whole-wheat flour tortillas, warm
1/3 cup crumbled Cotija cheese or other shredded cheese
1. Whisk vinegar, chili powder, oil, 2 teaspoons salt and garlic powder in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Add steak and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
2. make salsa about 20 minutes (and up to 2 hours) before cooking the meat: Gently combine tomatoes, jalapenos (or chilis) to taste, onion, cilantro, avocado, lime juice and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
3. Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
4. Place the steak on a rimmed baking sheet (discard the marinade). Broil 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium. Transfer for a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain. Serve the steak wrapped in warm tortillas and topped with the salsa and cheese.
Nutrients per 196 g serving: Calories: 283, Fat: 17 g, Carbs: 2 g, Proteins: 33 g.
BREAKFAST BURRITO (makes 1 serving)
4 egg whites
1 low-fat , whole-grain wheat tortilla
2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
1/2 cup nonfat refried beans
1/4 cup salsa
Scramble egg whites. Warm the tortilla. Spread remaining ingredients on tortilla. Roll and serve.
Nutrients per 288 g serving: Calories: 245, Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 44 g, Protien: 17 g
LEMON HERB CHICKEN (makes 2 servings)
2 tbsb + 4 tsp olive oil
2 large chicken breast
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1/3 c each fresh parsley, mint, and basil
Salt and pepper
1/3 c white wine
Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a ovenproof skillet on high heat. Place the chicken in the skillet and sear for 2 minutes per side.
While the chicken cooks, put the remaining 4 tsp oil, along with juice, zest and herbs, into a blender or food processor and pulse until well mixed.
Place the skillet with the chicken in a 400 f oven to roast for 8 minutes. Remove the skillet from the oven and place the chicken on a plate. Season with salt and pepper, then pour the wine in into the skillet, scrapping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
Add the herb sauce to the skillet and cook on the stove top for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
Nutrients: per serving: Calories: 398, Protein: 28 g, Carbs: 24 g fat, 4 g saturated, Fiber: 2 g, Sodium: 93 mg
Whisk rice wine, oyster sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- 2 cup(s) mushrooms, fresh , whole
- 1 cup(s) onion, white , raw, chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) pepper(s), green, bell , raw, chopped
- 8 teaspoon pepper(s), green chile , diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 cup(s) tomatoes, whole, canned , without added salt
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon broth, reduced-sodium vegetable , without msg
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, cayenne , dried, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2/3 cup(s) beans, black , canned
- 5 1/4 ounce(s) vegetarian crumbles , burger substitute, soy
- 1/3 cup(s) beans, chili , canned
Nutritional Info: (per serving)
Calories: 170, Carbs: 27g, Protein: 14g, Total Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Dietary Fiber: 8g, Sodium: 492mg, Cholesterol: 0mg
Food Group Servings:
Exchanges: Starch: 1 , Fruit: 0 , Vegetable: 2 , Protein: 2 , Dairy: 0 , Fat: 0